Monday, September 29, 2014

The Monstrous Mutt

It's a bit late to be posting, but sleep isn't going to happen for a while now, with what Jessica's got going on in the other room. Lots of screaming. Lots of pop music. Spending any amount of time with this woman makes trips to the mall an entirely different experience. Right now, she is utterly transforming that song, I don't know who it's by, the one about being 'happy'...? Ah, doesn't matter.

Truthfully I don't mind. I haven't been asked to spectate, so I've got some free time while she finishes up her gruesome work. And I'm choosing to utilize that free time to finally get around to something I've promised all of you(and myself) that I would do for ages. Yeah, that's right, Bradley's Journal Entries are finally back. Now that things are back to what passes for normal for our operation, I want to get to the bottom of this thing. 

(Normal isn't quite accurate, though, right now. Things are very rocky between Jessica and our boys. I don't know if anything will come of it, though, as she's always managed to knock them back into line before. Even without Andre, she's someone to be feared and listened to, trust me.)

Since there's a lot of material and I want to get primarily to the meat of what young Brad left behind in this notebook, I've sliced and diced the thing into one neat page or two that tells the story. There's some commentary from Jess that I've left in there where it's relevant, and I have a few notes of my own...but, ah, the bulk of my own questions, I'll just leave at the bottom of this post. Maybe this strange blogging community you all have built can help me piece together some answers.

May 29th, 2011

The kid is acting up. She's scared, she tells us, of some dog* that comes scratching at her window at night. Says it growls and shit. Fuck if I know what it means. This job is a pretty relaxed one, so I'm just grateful for that much. We might even get this kid, I'll call her Evelyn, back to her parents if we're real lucky. I've heard the stories, about what that monster, Carter, has guys like us do to the ones she doesn't feel like returning...sick shit that makes that "party" Marc and I went to look tame.

*[Part of the next paragraph is obscured by a drawing, which I think was done by Jess, of a massive, vicious looking hound. In her typical scrawling handwriting, 'NICE DOGGY' is written above it.]

------

 June 15th, 2011

...

Gavin has gotten real, real quiet. Like fuckin scary quiet. He looks like ghosts talk to him at night or some shit, I dunno. When I bring it up, he won't say whats bothering him, just to leave it alone. That he's thinking about it, that hes working it out on his own, whatever 'it' is. My guess? It's got to do with his girl. The chick with the red eyes that comes and stands around outside. I swear to god, if I ever get my hands on that woman, I'mgonna bash her head in... but I've never gotten my hands on her. Every time I go out there, she vanishes. Just starts walking away, and moves so fast I can't get her. One time Thomas had a talk with her. He managed to get her on the corner, but he said all she said was that our place used to be her childhood home. Freaky bitch.


------

[Not sure of the date on this one. Bradley didn't bother to write one in. I don't think it was more than a week after the one above, though.]

...

We finally get Gavin talking, and this is the shit he has to say? Some weird-ass crap about a giant, monster dog?* I don't know what to think right now. I feel like I'm losing my mind, or maybe I already have, but either way Gavin clearly lost his a long time ago. I'm still trying to make sense of it.

*What a pretty, pretty puppy.....it's fur would ruin my lovely coat, it's so sticky with blood and tar, hehehehehehe....

Basically, according to Gavin, there's a big, Black Dog that hunts and kills people who keep secrets. He says it smells 'em on you and goes looking, and when it finds you it waits for you to either tell someone yoursecrets or drives you insane and tears you to pieces. Or something like that, anyway. Says it's been stalking him for a whole year, and he only just started thinking about how he's totally screwed. That ex-girlfriend of his, the one with the red eyes, Gavin swears up and down that that's this dog in another form. He wants us to try to lure Carter into its path, and try to bump her off that way...which would be an alright plan, I guess, if this thing were actually fucking real.


------

June 27th, 2011

i fucking saw the fucking dog. It's real.


That's as far as I've dared to venture. There's only one line to the entry from June 27th, and that's it. I haven't read any further because, quite frankly, that one was enough to put me off of the things almost for good. But it's finally getting to me, I suppose, now that I have time to think harder about what I've read... ah, I started reading some of your other blogs. You folks write about monsters quite frequently, and not just the kind that I thought were real, like Jessica. You all deal with them like appliances you have to use every day, like a toaster or a microwave oven. Horrifying, freakish microwave ovens. So I thought, maybe you could help me. What is this thing Gavin describes? Is it real, or am I falling for a very elaborate prank? More importantly, if it is real, how the hell do I avoid it?

Thanks for the help. Maybe. Ah, well.

-Mr. Flint.

12 comments:

  1. It's real. As far as I'm aware, in addition to the slender man, there's the Wooden Girl, the Archangel, the Black Dog, the Eye, the Empty City, the Nightlanders, the Brute, the Burning Bride, the Mother of Snakes, the Blind Man, the Choir, the Cold Boy, the Convocation, the Dying Man, EAT, the Intrusion, the Manufactured Newborn, the Glitch, the Grotesque, the Plague Doctor, the Quiet, the Smiling Man, and the Unnamed Child.

    And you don't avoid it. It's been widely speculated that knowing about them attracts their attention, but that's not always true. They go after people who don't know about them all the time, and some that do know are never touched. Jessica told me while I was there that they wouldn't touch her for some reason. Maybe that will be enough to keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it waaaay past your bed-time?

      Kidding. Thanks for the (extremely) quick, comprehensive reply. Wow, so, there's a whole troupe of 'em huh? That's nice to know. Half of those names sound absolutely insipid, and the other half are nightmares waiting to happen when I go to sleep tonight. I'm assuming the Black Dog is our aforementioned hound up above?

      It sounds like I would have been better off not knowing.

      Delete
    2. Unsurprisingly, after severe trauma it becomes difficult to sleep through the night. And grandpa is smart enough to not try and enforce it.

      The hound mentioned would definitely be the black dog. He's known for going after secrets. I did forget to mention one, though. Though not everyone considers the Rake a proper fear anymore, apparently. Either way, creepy monster thing with just as creepy half monster followers. When it's not super late I'll tell you what all the monsters focus on if you haven't found out already.

      Delete
    3. A rake is a tool used for gardening. Are you fucking with me? I was kidding about the appliances thing.

      Delete
    4. No. There is actually a brutish half dog, half person cat thing with long claws that it uses to rake shit to death.

      Delete
    5. The Rake is a weird creepy half feral thing that supposedly likes to sneak into bedrooms and cut people up. It's supposed to have something to do with wildness or something? I'm not honestly sure, it's not quite so cut and dried. But thanks to the large numbers of people who seem to think this is all fiction, I'm sure you could find something if you google it.

      Delete
    6. Or just listen to Fracture. He's the one who's actually seen it, apparently.

      Delete
    7. I have met the Rake too. He's an asshole. And he smells fucking rank. He looks dry and papery, but his orifices have all these... fluids and mucus. UGH.

      Delete
  2. I think that's the Black Dog. Its a fear, one of those appliance monsters you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine that a beast that feeds on secrets was the right choice for your manic mastermind. I am unsurprised that nothing came of it.

    ReplyDelete